At the beginning of the new college journey, there is all the excitement about being around new people and having the chance to start over. I had this same thought as I moved across the country in order to attend college. I had this idea that I was going to wake up early, spend time on my makeup, make my hair look all cute, and make sure my outfits were on point every since day. Although I have accomplished that goal so far, that whole ” making sure I look cute everyday” thing is slowly diminishing. Just an FYI – I have only been here for 12 days.
I started thinking about something that all college girls would struggle with and that was the fact of taking care of herself. Making sure she is presentable to her fellow peers although very comfortable. Now, my college has a dress code because we are a private, Christian university so it is a little easier for me to wake up in the morning and actually work on my appearance because we cannot wear what a normal college girl can wear including leggings, athletic shorts that are above mid-thigh, tank tops, and all dresses/skirts must meet a credit card width from our knee. I know it sounds a little extreme but its actually not difficult. Our whole purpose for this school is to grow closer to him and by being modest and saving our bodies, we have that chance to continue to come closer to our God.
” I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.” – 1 Timothy 2:9-10
Taking care of yourself as a woman is one thing but doing it in the right way is another.
I have some tips for my girls out there that are struggling with our inner and outer beauty:
- Get some sleep! – I know that this one can be hard when it comes to homework and social lives but other than classes and possibly a job, you have the rest of the day to study, catch up on homework, and socialize. If you get the amount of sleep you should get every night, you will ultimately enjoy each day a little better.
- Jeggings are a girls best friend – at my school we are not allowed to wear the jeggings that do not have pockets or a zipper but they make plenty of pants that are jegging material with pockets, zippers, and buttons. These pants are so comfortable and ca go with any outfit.
- Plain colored shirts – I prefer V-neck shirts but whatever style you choose, having plain colored shirts are a life saver when you are searching for that easy, yet cute outfit for the day.
- Accessories – I have an entire jewelry organizer full of different necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and then I have a bin dedicated to all of my scarves. Cardigans are technically not accessories but they do dress up any outfit very easily.
- BB Cream, powder, mascara – These are the most basic makeup items for a girl. Honestly, I love to do my makeup so I do a lot more than just these but this is for that girl that doesn’t want to put in a ton of effort yet still wants to look good.
- Eat, eat, eat – If you have a meal plan, use it! If you do not, you need to set aside some money for good meals to have throughout the day. Eating will make you healthier ( if you eat the right things ) and make you feel better throughout the day.
These are just a few tips on how to survive the college life as a girl that wants to look good without much effort. Give these tips a try and if you have any others that I did not mention, feel free to comment them down below in order for others to read them.
♥ Ashlee Nicole